[messengers] Bike polo players arrested, ticketed

Date: 13 Jan 2010 14:04:46 +0100
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Bike polo players arrested, ticketed

By Tom Held

Milwaukee
Journal Sentinel

January 11, 2010

The parking structure in O'Donnell Park was a safe haven
from the elements, but not the law, for 11 bike polo players who were arrested
and ticketed for trespassing on the county-owned property Sunday night.

Jacob Newborn, one of the leaders in the Milwaukee Bike Polo
Club, reported that Milwaukee
 County sheriff's deputies
broke up a game about 6 p.m., then took the participants and players to jail
for ticketing and processing. They were released early Monday.

According to Newborn, bike polo players have used the
O'Donnell Park garage as a winter venue for five or six years, with a few
warnings from county parks workers but no official enforcement action.

"We would just go back after a while," he said.

Sheriff's Capt. Aisha Barkow confirmed the enforcement
action and said the players had been warned twice previously that they were
trespassing and causing damage to the parking structure near the Milwaukee lakefront.
County parks representatives offered two alternate locations for their bike
polo matches, she said.

On Sunday night, a sheriff's unit assigned to parks patrol
found the players back in O'Donnell Park and arrested them.

"This should not have been a surprise," Barkow
said.

Tickets with forfeitures of $263.50 were issued to those
arrested.

Newborn said the arrests would add motivation to the group's
efforts to locate a private indoor play area, while they work on a legal
strategy.

"We have to sit down and discuss as a club how we want
to approach it in court," Newborn said. "It will be interesting to
see what the judge says when he has 11 trespassing cases in a row."

Mess media Bryant Watch