Re: [messengers] Canadian non-competition clauses?

Date: Tue Feb 09 03:58:31 2010
From: Biker Bill <zxmessenger@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Having been under the gun personally, here is what happened both times I was getting the heat here in Alberta.
First time was a lot of hot air which ended by bringing up "dependant contractor status" and showing them what the possibilities of going that route would do to them financially and they dropped the suit but not without a lot of yelling.
Second time went to arbitration (different company), where I had to show I had not solicited the accounts but had opened accounts for customers who had several accounts with other companies in the city, thus proving that they were not exclusive clients to the company I had done work for in the past. And that was the winning argument that helped me not lose that suit.
Neither time did I use a lawyer, consult with one ya but defending your own right to work looks best defending yourself, unless of course you have someone else picking up the tab.
In my time on the streets I have heard the threats many times and watched it go down many different avenues and never once saw it go anywhere...
This is only my experience, not legal advice. You have to go with your gutz! Best of luck, don't let the bastards drag you down!!!
BikerBill
Most recently here in my City, one company hired a lot of staff from another company and accounts crossed over, a short argument was made but nothing has come from it and seems like a dead issue. Why the former company did not pursue it with their legal team seems odd as well for something very cut and dry. Could be their years of experience dealing with these legal issues hmmm?