[messengers] UK Teen Driver Tries to Kill Cyclist, Who Turns Out to be a Police Officer. Oops.

Date: 12 Feb 2010 11:21:17 +0100
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

Road Rage Karma, Baby
Road rage can be dangerous, especially if the out-of-control driver decides
to chase you and you're on on a bicycle. This is exactly what happened to
Martin Melvin in Burnley, UK: He was going home on his bike after finishing
work for the day when Benjamin Harrison, 18, pulled alongside him, sounded
his horn and began to shout loudly: "Get off the road. I will run you off
the road. I will kill you. Get off the road." True to his word, he actually
tried to run him off the road and kill him...

Nine times he almost mowed down DI Melvin, aiming for him on the pavement,
striking his handle-bars, forcing him off his bike into trees, threatening
to kill him and hurling stones and coins at him. [...] The victim had no
escape route and had no choice but to continue his journey on the almost
deserted road," reported the Lancashire Telegraph.

But my question is, where did he find the stones? Was he carrying stones in
his car just for the purpose of throwing at cyclists?

Surprise Ending
But the best part about this story is that the victim, Martin Melvin, is a
police officer (detective inspector, to be precise). He made a note of his
aggressor's license plate, who was later arrested.

At his parents' home, the teen driver asked the police officers who were
arresting him: "Can I not just apologise?" Mmm, no.

Guess Not
The judge said that Mr Melvin was a "bit of an unfortunate choice of victim"
and "gave him nine months in jail, suspended for two years, with 12 months
supervision and 100 hours unpaid work. He was banned from driving for two
years and must pay £750 costs." He was lucky to get a suspended sentence and
stay out of jail.