Re: [messengers] UK Teen Driver Tries to Kill Cyclist, Who Turns Out to be a Police Officer. Oops.

Date: Fri Feb 12 23:22:35 2010
From: Kirk Dungan <happycourier13@xxxxxxxxx>

I'm afraid incidents like that are all to common in the states. Most states it's illegal to carry a gun without a permit if at all and even where it is legal few cyclists do. That and your rarely in a position both legally and practically where you can shoot at a car. The other problem is it's hard to carry one concealed where you can get at it quickly while on a bike. For a lot of reasons it's less hassle then to carry openly although most states allow some form of open carry, I end up just stuffing my snub-nose revolver in one of the pockets inside my bag, the rare times I ride armed. That's only when I'm not at work or planning on stopping off for a drink as that would put me in the position of breaking the law, so that'd be twice in the last year. Alaska gun laws aren't too bike messenger friendly but that's another rant. Ironically most violent fuckheads don't really care about following gun laws and aren't cyclists. In fact there's a good chunk of
 the cycling public in the states that are anti-gun, they just don't like 'em. So, you wind up with more violent predators driving cars and more potential victims on bikes. That's my guess anyway.