[messengers] Ultralocal Cycling - 5 Point Plan (based around Japanese Cycling Culture)

Date: 20 Feb 2010 08:48:48 +0100
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

If you follow the link their is a bit that says all Sydney needs to allow
cycling on the footpath is signage, That may well also apply to pedestrian
crossings. This would mean that all we need to legalise joining in with
pedestrian crossings (and being able to turn left or right at red lights) is
a painted bike symbol.

"Recently posted on this website
http://www.scapestrategy.com.au/ultralocal-cycling-–-5-point-plan/#...<http://www.scapestrategy.com.au/ultralocal-cycling-%E2%80%93-5-point-plan/#more-301>
  is a Paper that was delivered at the Australian Cycling Conference in
Adelaide in January. The writer of this paper has recently joined the Sydney
Cyclist blog and has been following discussions relating to the
planning of bikepaths. His company consults in architecture, urban design
and
transport planning and I would greatly appreciate feedback from the Sydney
Cyclist forum on my paper:

* **Abstract* Over the past five years, SCAPE strategy has researched the
relationship between Transit Oriented Development and bicycles in the
world’s most transit-rich city, Tokyo. Staggering differences between
Japanese and

Australian obesity statistics can be substantially attributed to differences
in
urban form. The bicycle is an intrinsic component of the Tokyo lifestyle,
fundamental to the upbringing of children and the ability of people to age
in
place.
Notable in the Tokyo context is the intimate and seamless relationship
between cycles and pedestrians. Fundamentally different to long-haul lycra
cycling, and the politics of cycleways that dominate Australian

thinking, Ultralocal Cycling engages virtually everybody in everyday
movement
around neighbourhoods. This results in a radical reinvention of urban form
with
streetscapes that are served by architectural, retail and civic amenity that
is
more tactile, safer and more culturally productive than our suburban model.

 A new agenda needs to be embraced into the urban design debate in Australia
that focuses on the immense consequences of tiny trips taken by children,
mothers, commuters, the elderly and the fashion-conscious as

we inevitably adapt Australian cities to a less energy-consumptive future."