[messengers] Jamie Staff backs London cargo bike scheme

Date: 1 Apr 2010 12:25:42 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Jamie Staff backs London
cargo bike scheme

By BikeRadar

March 31, 2010

Jamie Staff helps launch Office Depot's new cargo bikes at Tower Bridge
in London
(Office Depot )

Olympic gold medal winner Jamie Staff was back on his bike
today despite announcing his retirement from competitive cycling this week.

But in place of his usual track machine was a cargo cycle –
part of a new fleet of bikes being used by office products and services company
Office Depot in London
to replace van deliveries and reduce their carbon footprint.

The Beijing Olympics team sprint star won't be using his
famous thighs for bike courier duties, though – he was just helping to launch
the initiative. However, he said the new bikes were "great news for the
sport as a whole and for the environment in London".

The 36-year-old former BMX world champion, who has retired
due to a serious back injury, plans to become a cycling coach. Yesterday, he
told the press: "I've accomplished all my goals in winning world and
Olympic titles at two cycling disciplines. I now feel it's time to pass the
challenge onto the younger members of the Great Britain squad in the lead-up
to the London Olympics in 2012."

Jason Kenny is likely to take over his starter position in
the squad. Staff said: "I feel that looking at the big picture I would
struggle to compete with the best riders in the world at the London Olympics
and be in a position to win the gold medal again."

The launch of Office Depot's new fleet outside London’s City Hall came
as Royal Mail announced they were scrapping most of their delivery bikes for
safety reasons. Ross Kavanagh, the company's UK and Ireland procurement and
supply chain director, said: “The new cargo cycles will see three-quarters of
our van deliveries cut from the City’s roads, reducing traffic in the Square
Mile and cutting harmful emissions into the atmosphere."

Kulveer Ranger, the Mayor of London’s transport advisor,
said: “We're creating a cycling revolution in London, with the mayor working to make ours
the best big cycling city in the world. Cargo cycles could make a real
contribution, showing that cycling is not just for commuters but for use in
many other ways, including keeping London's
deliveries moving. We'll be keen to see how they contribute to reducing traffic
and emissions, and what lessons that could teach us.”

Mess media Bryant Watch