Re: [messengers] to support or not to support

Date: 10 Apr 2010 16:08:32 +0200
From: "Joel Metz" <magpie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

im offended that you think i dont realize that difference after 15+ years
working as a messenger (and moving up on nearly 40 as a cyclist real quick
here). sheesh. ive had cars/drivers do everything from flip me off, to
shoot me in the side with an air gun, to hit me and send me to hospital. i
*know* that a bike swiping a car is VERY different from a car swiping a
bike.

what im talking about is the *reaction*. flying into a rage should not be
considered an acceptable reaction to being sideswiped, on one side or the
other.

and yeah, you SHOULD just stop and think "no worries, it's just my life
that driver almost took, just my life, breeaaaaathe....". yes, you should.
maybe not so much emphasis on the "just my life" bit, but stopping and
thinking aint such a bad thing, eh?

i dont like that it does, but perzeus reaction reflects poorly on ALL of
us. i dont typically buy into the whole "scofflaw cyclists make it worse
for all of us" malarkey - but in road rage reactions like these - and
yeah, im calling perzeus reaction what it is, road rage, regardless of
what precipitated the whole incident - i do believe it does. no one on the
car side of the equation here is walking away from this thinking he had an
excellent point, and maybe theyll be more careful around us next time, out
of a sense of either fear or responsibility. theyre just that much more
convinced of us being jackasses who go off half-cocked. and we keep
handing them more material.

-joel