[messengers] Fading Cult

Date: 13 Apr 2010 21:46:56 +0200
From: Alias Johnson <aliasjhnsn@xxxxxxxxx>

As an old guy (58 next week!) and a messenger in the late sixties and early seventies, I never got the "cult" thing anyway. I was a DC messenger for a law firm and had extremely long hair and dressed like a "hippie" (whatever I bought at the thrift store). I could (and did) walk into any Federal Building in the District WITH my bike and was never asked for ID or harrassed about bringing my bike inside! Bike messengers were few and far between as most courier services used BMW motorcycles at the time. I left DC and went to live the seafaring life before the "cult" was established... glad I missed it! I ride SSMTB mostly now, though I own road bikes and full blown geared MTBs. The one thing I dig the most though is hanging in the bar with the real thing!