Re: [messengers] The Slowly Fading Cult of the Messenger

Date: 14 Apr 2010 15:23:02 +0200
From: Katie Styer <katiostyler@xxxxxxxxx>

The bottom line is that we have fun, a lot. The crowd can see it on our
faces in our determination, steely grit and shit-eating smiles. How could
you not want a part of that? But even if you aren't legitimate, you can
still ride around with the big boys and girls and pretend. I say, stay out
of my way, have your fun and don't let the bus run you over or the tracks
eat your wheel-- if you wanna hang out in the financials.

And let's get real. These kids who can afford the blaingin bikes don't want
to really be messengers and lose their graphic design paychecks and have to
start digging through the used parts bins at the local community bike
workshop to fix their trixie. In my city, at the least, unless you work for
a legal company or the one or two legit all-city coverage companies, you
don't earn shit, really.

Thus the only real negative impact the "just for fun" riders have on the
messenger community is two fold: sullying a badass rep that some worked
really hard to solidify and driving up prices of our "work tools." I'll give
y'all that but tricks? Non-issue to me. Leave them their tricks, I've got a
toasty rush to put the jam on.

SF Rookie
-Katie