Re: [messengers] Fwd: WBAB

Date: 9 Jun 2010 12:50:17 +0200
From: stefan vis <fishmeisterasd@xxxxxxxxx>

so an alleycat tour? don't you think that would mostly attract non couriers
who make a sport out of alleycat racing without any traffic experience but
with a lot of funds and sponsors to buy the tickets from companies who
initially weren't interested in sponsoring a messenger because they are too
hardcore? and also most of the couriers are not interested in sponsorships
anyway...

im all for, but keep in mind that races in live traffic are dangerous(not
that i am a pussy or whatever, setting up one of the most dangerous events
in my carreer... fix rookie exile in paris) and also keep in mind that
companies using bikemessengers also watch mtv or eurosport and if those
broadcasts have a negative effect on work worldwide and the impression on
bikemessengers in general, i would reconsider the set up to smaller scale
closed courses of course with my racing system...(hehe) or andy zalan's...
in that way money's from whatever commercial party are well spend on
researching race systems for more interesting and less frustrating races to
be used as championships, not to mention it getting easier to arrange
awesome racesites for the pre events and the championships.

kai hawaii, hattara, jenz and me (fish) (and probably others too)have been
talking about events that are self supporting. in my last talks to hattara
we came up with a team race system with races that can last up to a
workday... in live traffic, otherwise its too boring. downside is what i
mentioned above but at the other hand, intesting for television, as the
first part of the race will be impossible to follow and the second part is a
reaal race and you can see people racing eachother (like my
championshipconcept). but it takes a huge production with helmetcams and
shit. and as i said im not sure if it will put the bikemessenger in a
positive light, taken that   messers dont stop for traffic and cameras
expose you to the world so also your flaws will show. but it will also show
the behaviour of other road users and that might work in our favour...

anyway in however form it might happen, individual or team, we have the
concept and im sure it works...
but the racers have to be insured for this and that should come from a
sponsor. racers should be real bikemessengers with the right experience, and
they cannot be drunk during the races. this is bad for how people see us and
that rep is not very positive, given that sponsors think we are either passe
or too hardcore. and you might loose work, and not only you but also
messengers who have nothing to do with racing or the community.

so i would say, closed courses, use the experience and the sponsor
opportunities to find awesome spots, include the worlds in the schedule, and
create races that cannot dissappoint any racer and that are interesting to
race.

i am going to test the preliminairy concept for the warsaw race this juli in
rotterdam during the open dutch championships, this is a race using a tested
concept but slimmed down in checkpoints but added 2 guerilla races within
the race, and i believe these possiblilities are endless, as long as you
follow the main race concept... i have the chance to test and i know it will
work...

fish.