Re: [messengers] Alleycat World Cup ...brought to you by...

Date: 9 Jun 2010 13:43:38 +0200
From: Alias Johnson <aliasjhnsn@xxxxxxxxx>

I would like to support Fish's point on this. As an "old guy" and from the "Deep South" I am old enough to remember when "NASCAR" was a local Saturday night  dirt track phenomena where the guys who ran illegal whiskey for a living got together to see who had the fastest ride that could still be whipped around a track without flying apart... Now we see where the "corporate sponsorship" has taken that sport! What was once a "renegade" cultural phenome has left its roots and become the commercial monster that NASCAR is today... that happened in my short lifetime!( and I am still kicking hopefully for a long time to come!).I don't think cousin "Jr" would have seen it coming!
  A little closer to home is the "Tour de France" ... remember the pics of the hardcore standing  straddling their bikes smoking cigarettes? Do you see any corporate logos?
Once you have corporate sponsorship they OWN your sport...!
  Even closer to home... I well remember when alleycats were organized impromptu.. as in RIGHT NOW... put your money where your mouth is...a race to the next bar where the worst loser buys a round for the pack...
   No lawyers, insurance disclaimers...police barricades
Slippery slope ahead...