Re: [messengers] Fwd: WBAB

Date: 10 Jun 2010 14:27:16 +0200
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

Alleycats are underground for a reason, they are illegal.

I also agree with AZ that bigger is not better (especially when it comes to
alleycats.)

If you sell alleycats as orienteering events and make them legal then in my
eyes they become relatively lame, boring and not that appealing to sponsors.

My opinion is that closed course races should be live traffic races (but
without automobiles). Closed course races should be multi directional. they
should have intersections and possibly even road rules, you could have right
of way and you could disqualify people who's incompetence causes carnage or
does something of the sort. It could be fairly entertaining and marketable.

If you want to go bigger and mainstream you should not be doing races on
public streets, The last thing the messenger community needs is footage of
some wanker cyclist who thinks he's "badass" nailing a pedestrian or putting
himself under an automobile on mtv.

Other than that i think your onto something with the multi city idea.

We currently have the CMWC, ECMC and the NACCC's, These events could fairly
easily combine into one championship circuit.

What would we need to do that? Someone would need some guidelines, some
money, some power, some authority and some control.

Is that what the community wants?

Currently the IFBMA Mission Statement is only...
1. To ensure the successful realization of an annual Cycle Messenger World
Championships.
2. To foster a spirit of cooperation and community amongst bicycle
messengers worldwide.
3. To promote the use of pedal power for commercial purposes.

Spare time is hard to come by but if its what the community wants and
somebody wants to put me on their payroll i'll help make it happen.