[messengers] How a Southampton family copes in aftermath of deadly fire

Date: 13 Jul 2010 14:19:04 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

How a Southampton family
copes in aftermath of deadly fire

By Kristen A. Graham

 Philadelphia
Inquirer, July 6, 2010

Eric Nordberg divides his life into two parts - before the
fire and after.

Before, he had a nice house in the suburbs, an established
business in Center
 City , a wife who made him
laugh, and three happy daughters.

Fire consumed his Bucks
 County house on May 25,
killing baby Katie, 17 months, and critically injuring his wife, Susan Thomas.
Initially, doctors told Nordberg that because of smoke and carbon monoxide
inhalation and the length of time her brain went without oxygen, the prognosis
for middle daughter Julia, 4, was grim.

Now, his life is centered on a room at a rehabilitation
facility attached to Children's Hospital
 of Philadelphia , where
victory is measured in bites of lunch, tentative steps taken, and the soft,
throaty voice Nordberg feared he'd never hear again.

"Julia," Nordberg said, "makes a terrible
situation better."

The little girl has astonished everyone with her progress.

Despite the bad news doctors initially gave Nordberg, Julia,
who turned 4 just days before the fire, has regained her voice, now speaking in
full sentences. Though she still uses a wheelchair, she's re-learning how to
walk and must train her body to master motor skills again.

Nordberg, who owns TimeCycle Inc., a courier business in Old City ,
has not been to the office since the fire. He sleeps on the couch in Julia's
room and devotes himself full-time to managing her rehabilitation.

Led by office manager/chief financial officer and family
friend Devon Dresing, Nordberg's motley crew of bike couriers and customer
service representatives is running the business, holding fund-raisers,
assisting with insurance paperwork, and visiting Julia and her mother.

Oldest daughter Bethany, 14, who was at school at the time
of the blaze, lives for now with her best friend's family in Southampton .
She makes frequent trips to Philadelphia
to see Julia and her father.

Thomas, 33, who before the fire was known for her quick wit,
generosity, and devotion to her family, is now at a nursing facility in Warrington . She remains
in a coma, dependent on a ventilator.

"Sue's prognosis is poor," Nordberg said. "I
don't think it's completely hopeless yet, but it's extraordinarily bad."

Nordberg visits when he can.

"I don't think Sue can hear me," he said.
"But I know all she wants is for Julia to be OK."

The fire broke out about 2 p.m. in the family's dining room
in Southampton . A neighbor dialed 911, and
firefighters found Thomas, Julia, and Katie in an upstairs bedroom. Crews took
Katie to a nearby hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

 Upper Southampton officials
said Friday that the fire's cause was still undetermined, but that Katie's
death was ruled accidental.

Losing Katie is excruciating, said Nordberg.

"That's what hurts the most," he said.

So he focuses on Julia, with her soft blond curls and sassy
streak, who one day last week sat on her dad's lap grinning, demanding to be
tickled.

When Nordberg obliged, she reclined on the couch, dissolving
into giggles. After a minute, she said something unintelligible in her whispery
voice.

"Do you want help? Ask for help if you need it,"
Nordberg prompted gently.

"Can you help me sit up?" she said softly.

Nordberg sat her up slowly. She smiled and thanked him.

Julia is more alert every day, more frustrated that she's
still in the hospital. She has woken up sobbing, asking to go home. She has
asked why her legs don't work well. Nordberg tells her he'll stay with her,
tells her she's getting much stronger and that her legs will work soon.

Doctors expect Julia to remain at Children's through August.
The family will then move to a temporary home, and Nordberg plans to rebuild on
the site of the current house.

Julia does not remember the fire or know that her baby
sister died. She knows she's in the hospital and that her mother and sisters
are not with her. Last week, she asked about her mother for the first time.

"I told her she was in the hospital," Nordberg
said. "She wasn't happy."

Though Julia has already recovered much more than doctors
thought she would, Nordberg knows she may have deficits. But she is undoubtedly
the same happy, outgoing girl who loves the stuffed robot toy her uncle made
her and keeps everyone laughing with her easy chatter.

"She's just a happy, crazy kid," Nordberg said.
"She's the most extroverted person I know. Everyone is happy to meet
Julia."

The sea change in his life still feels surreal to Nordberg.

"I just wish I could go back to that Tuesday
morning," he said. "Everything was going great - we were happy, we
get along great, we have wonderful kids. We had smoke detectors, it was the
middle of the day, but this still happened."

The family moved to Southampton two years ago from Northeast Philadelphia . Nordberg often biked the 20 miles
to work; Sue and the girls visited his office often, helping to stuff envelopes
on nights when the staff sent out monthly invoices. Julia loves to talk to the
couriers over the radio.

Nordberg met Thomas when her brother worked for TimeCycle.
She called looking for him, got Nordberg, and the two hit it off.

"That was almost 16 years ago," he said. "And
now we're here."

These days, the TimeCycle crew is shorthanded without
Nordberg, but still managing well, said Dresing. No one can take a vacation,
but that's OK, she said.

"Everyone pitches in," Dresing said. "We're a
family. Eric has a lot to handle."

Everyone has been heartened by people's reaction to the
tragedy.

Total strangers have sent checks. Bethany 's school held a fund-raiser.
Ex-couriers showed up in force at Katie's funeral. Customers and competitors
are writing letters and posting messages on Internet message boards, expressing
a desire to do whatever they can.

Another fund-raiser, a bike race, is planned for later this
month.

Nordberg has good health and homeowner's insurance, but
there are bills that aren't covered. Still, Nordberg said he's going to be OK.

"The only thing I need," he said, "is for
Julia to be fine."

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/ Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/