Re: [messengers] M.C.A.

Date: 18 Jul 2010 01:16:59 +0200
From: shawn blumenfeld <bega@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

i like morgan's sentiment, but i think the mca shouldnt be a vote
(read: potential popularity contest). a smaller group of individuals,
especially those who have been granted the mca, may be able to discuss
it more rationally and come to a better conclusion as to which
individual to recognize.

i like the nomination process that takes place every year on the list.
we get names of those who we might not think of because the wokr
theyve done is more local in nature. we get names of life-time
contirbuters. we always have a good group of those we are thankful to
for keeping the community going.

id hate for the mca to become limited to just those at cmwc, or voted
for under a campaign process through the weekend, or voted for only by
those who are at cmwc in what really comes down to a pay to vote
scenario (which i have no trouble with for cmwc's btw). cmwc is
extremely important, but its not nearly all of us in any one year, and
its participation certainly shouldnt limit the mca process.

it should also be noted that the ifbma doesnt give out the award so
much as the past recipients give out the award. so while our opinions
may ultimately sway them to a different process, i dont personally
think an open vote as to the mca process would ever be appropriate.

--
Shawn "bega" Blumenfeld
http://www.dcbikeracing.com