[messengers] Film-maker hires cyclist for Norwich epic trip

Date: 10 Aug 2010 13:16:38 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Film-maker hires cyclist for Norwich epic trip

BY JON WELCH

The Advertiser, August 10 2010,

When you're a film producer keen to stress your green
credentials, there's no point in doing things half-heartedly.

And hiring someone to pedal 125 miles on a bicycle to
deliver your funding application certainly shows you mean business.

Faced with a looming deadline, that is what the makers of a
movie due to be shot in Norfolk did to ensure
their bid made it to Screen East's offices in Norwich on time.

Tinker Film plans to shoot part of its horror movie Tarot on
location in Thetford Forest, and decided to apply for investment of £250,000
from Screen East's Low Carbon Fund, which encourages environmentally-friendly
film-making.

Having missed the post, the Watford-based company hired
cycle courier Alex Urie, pictured, to ride all the way to Norwich in order to
make sure the documents arrived by yesterday's 5pm deadline. The film's
co-producer, Derek Harrington, 52, said: “The material had to be in hard copy,
and we blew the post deadline because we were waiting for another document to
attach.

“We thought 'what's the most low-carbon way to get it to Norwich in time?' and hit
on the idea of using a cycle courier.”

Tinker Film hired Mr Urie, 25, through Go-Betweens, which
bills itself as London's
first carbon-neutral courier company. “Most of the work I do is in and around London. It's pretty rare
to be asked to do a job outside the city and this is one of the longest I've
done,” Mr Urie said.

Mr Urie set off from Screen East's office at Leavesden
Studios, Watford at 10.55am, on his single-speed bike, arriving at Millennium
Plain, Norwich
at about 4.30pm.

Mr Harrington said: “That's impressive.

“I'm delighted Alex got our application there safely and in
such a low-carbon way.”

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/ Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/