Re: [messengers] Some scientific bloke has made it his business to repeal helmet laws in Aussieland.

Date: 22 Aug 2010 01:45:45 +0200
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

When Australia introduced mandatory helmet laws during the early 90's it was
heavily enforced. In Adelaide you'll be lucky to do a helmet less ride
without some random bloke on the street telling you off, if the cops see you
they'll make it their priority to catch you, give you a ticket and perhaps
even let your tyres down.

There was also a media scare campaign, they had television commercials
showing cyclists getting hit by cars and that sort of stuff. It really
seemed to kick start the perception that riding a bike was dangerous.

Australia has definitely turned a blind eye to the fact that the real danger
on our roads has and always will be Automobiles.

Cars are wonderful things when they are used intelligently and wisely, but
unnecessary motor vehicle use is the real problem on our roads that needs to
be addressed. Over 50% of Australian motor vehicle journeys are less than 5
kilometres.

We are a very lucky bunch living down here in Aussie land, most people can
afford to drive automobiles; that makes it easy for people to give up
cycling. Public transport in Sydney sucks.

Publicity about this topic is somewhat symbolic.

Its about making people understand that cyclists are not the danger on our
roads.