Re: [messengers] City must end this 'cycle' of violence

Date: 22 Aug 2010 02:45:01 +0200
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

Sorry about harping on about Tokyo and clogging your in boxes.

I would like the way most responsible couriers ride to be legalised and what
i liked about Tokyo was my interpretation of the road rules.

I felt that pedestrian crossings being shared zones meant that i could ride
like a sensible courier, often avoiding the danger that is automobiles
without breaking the law.

I genuinely believe that doing something for safety reasons in some
situations justifies doing the same thing for convenience in others.

At red lights you can turn left or join in with pedestrian crossings to turn
right instead of waiting in the middle of busy intersections (they ride on
the left side of the road).

Being allowed to join in with pedestrian crossings was a good thing.
Permitting bicycles to do things that automobiles can not is a great
incentive to get people to ride bikes.

Cycleways will never be everywhere.

I would like traffic light sequences to prioritise the movement of people
instead of machines.

Join forces with pedestrians so to speak.