[messengers] CMWC reminder

Date: 22 Aug 2010 17:38:11 +0200
From: "Andy" <az@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

In case we haven't mentioned it yet; Bring all the extra parts and tools you think you might need. Extra gears, cables, tubes, chains, bolts, tires. Oh, tires! Bring fat tires. Don't even think about coming down here with skinny 20mm road tires and hoping to push a 50x16 gear ratio around Pana. It is not going to happen. The race course is relatively flat, but Pana is in a valley so if you want to do any riding out of town, it will certainly involve serious climbing and descending. The right gearing is critical. About half of the CMWC race course will be on cobble stone streets, and a portion of those are very rough. I'm not kidding. A mountain bike or cycle cross bike might be ideal, but a track bike can excel so long as you find the right gear ratio and can squeeze some fat tires on there, like 35mm would be a smart choice. Anybody still have a pair of those Judy suspension road forks? Those would work great here.
There are a couple of bike shops here where you will find very basic stuff, but don't expect to find anything fancy or track bike specific. Plan ahead and be prepared!
Oh, and don't forget to bring your rain gear. It likes to rain here sometimes.
Check out some new photos I posted to the CMWC website of La Ocho track construction and us doing "work" down here.
Can't wait to see everybody!
--
AZ
www.cmwcguatemala.com