[messengers] Markus Cook Award 2010 - Call for nominations

Date: 18 Sep 2010 13:31:31 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Now that CMWC
2010 is over, it’s time to call for nominations for this year’s Markus
Cook Award for services to the international messenger community.

This will be
the 13th year that the award is presented. It was started by Buffalo Bill in
1998, to remember Markus and to draw attention to messengers whose work
benefits all of us.

From the
IFBMA’s Markus Cook Award page:

“The MCA for
services to the International Messenger Community is not a prize for winning a
race. At the time the Award was conceived, CMWC was beginning to be more about
the racing than the happening. I [ Buffalo
Bill] wanted to re-establish the spirit of the championships, to restate the
reason that we all come to this event every year. The MCA is a reflection of
the axiom that everyone who comes to a CMWC is a winner, whether they race or
not.

Markus himself
was very much in love with the CMWC, and in many ways he was the unlikeliest
bike racer imaginable. He was several other things, of course. Editor of
Mercury Rising messenger zine, unofficial spokesperson of the SFBMA, leader of
L Sid, and a friend to all. The enthusiasm of Markus brought CMWC and the
international messenger community to San
  Francisco , and it saddens many people to this day that
he did not live to see it.

This
award is for people that inspire and empower the wider messenger community,
that put all of us before themselves.”

The current
recipient is Luk Keller. Here is last year’s announcement:

http://www.messmedia.org/MCA2009.html

The 2008 recipient was
Martin Larsen. Here is the announcement:

 http://www.messmedia.org/MCA2008.html

For more on
previous recipients and more on the award see (we need to update the page with
Martin’s and Luk’s names):

http://www.messengers.org/ifbma/mca.html

There is no
limit to the number of nominees and anyone can nominate someone. The messenger
community is fortunate to have many people who are willing to devote time and
effort to improve the lot of others. The difficult part is narrowing the list
down to just one recipient every year.

I’m suggesting
we close nominations at the end of the month – September 30

So send your
nominations to the list now and/or copy me.

The basic but
not so strict criteria are:

  -
it must be mainly for activities that have taken place in the last 12 months;
although you can also draw attention to his or her prior work.

 -
they don’t have to be a working messenger; they can be a former messenger

 The
decision will be taken by a committee of former recipients and will be awarded
as close to  Messenger Appreciation Day (October 9) as possible.

For
more on Markus:

http://www.ahalenia.com/memorial/markus.html

 http://www.sfweekly.com/1996-05-08/news/mercury-falling