[messengers] A Man Called Horse

Date: 7 Oct 2010 21:56:17 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

A Man Called Horse
New York’s bike messengers live life at warp speed. And one man is speediest of all: Austin Horse.

The Red Bulletin, September 30, 2010
“When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race.”  - HG Wells

He arrives like a lightning bolt. Bam! He’s right beside me. Note to self: better reset my notions of ‘now’, ‘in a minute’ and ‘pretty fast’.

Austin Horse – ‘the world’s fastest bike courier’ – does time differently from you and me. His sense of how long things take is compressed, heightened, intensified. He lives life on permanent fast-forward. Two, maybe three, minutes ago we had spoken to fix a meeting point. “I’ll be with you real soon,” he closed, from an unspecified nearby New York spot where he’d just completed his latest delivery. Enough time, I figure, to buy and drink a coffee.

Buy, yes; drink, no. By the time I’d purchased said beverage and walked outside NYC’s Grand Central Station, to meet beneath the Park Avenue overpass, Austin has arrived, skidding to a perfectly positioned halt a couple of feet from my feet. He hops off gracefully, unclipping his clip-in shoes and trotting the last couple of steps towards me in a single fluid movement.

He looks the part in such an unshowily cool way it’s hard to stifle a smile: a workhorse street-beaten fixed-gear bike; courier trousers (‘pants’), that look like regular jeans, but with threads of stretchy Lycra interlaced and a reflective strip inside the turn-up; a discreet black cycling cap and, of course, a massive bag, containing who knows what, strapped to his shoulders. The kit’s all there and it’s all pukka stuff – but if you didn’t know what you were looking for, you’d miss it.

He’s no Lycra-Nazi ‘roadie’, but a street-hip road warrior, prepared for pretty much anything this endlessly exciting metropolis can throw at him. In square-rimmed black Ray-Bans, there’s a whiff of Clark Kent to his style and he’s a twist of nervy energy, with a quick smile, handshake and a glint in the eye that’s always saying, “C’mon, let’s go.”
Full article at (pg 52) http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1010_redbulletin_nz?mode=a_p

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/

Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/