Re: [messengers] Your mother never told you about me long ago, but...

Date: 22 Oct 2010 14:29:32 +0200
From: Corey Hilliard <coreythecourier@xxxxxxxxx>

No, I was going for the don't be dull, don't be slick and keep it real.

It's not about having a cool bike. They break occasionally when you get hit
by trucks, buses and cabs. (tuk-tuks in my case recently in Guatemala). It's
not about corporate sponsorship and massive prizes. If you want that you
should get a licence and race professionally. It is not about technology
because electronics do not work in the rain.

I am just a regular dude now. I was going for the if you can do it better
than I did, you have to LOVE bikes, riding in the rain, riding in the snow,
riding in the heat, riding with blood streaming down your legs, riding with
saddle sores, riding with carpal tunnel, riding with bugs and dirt in your
eyes, riding hungover, riding on flat tires, riding with parts that should
have been replaced months ago but you spent the money at the bar with your
messenger buddies, riding when your dispatcher is being an asshole, riding
when your girl/boyfriend complains about you spending more time with the
bike than them, riding in strange places at strange hours, riding with
strangers, riding with way too much stuff in your messenger bag that makes
you see spots and then ride when no one is looking. But you also have to
make it look like a lot fun so you can do it with plenty of other people.
When you become old, sitting in your rocking chair because your knees are
blown from years of riding fixed you will want to reflect on the people,
places and events fondly.

And should your ego ever become really big, there's always a few surly
messengers to help you pull your head out of your ass so you can see the big
picture and not your own shit.

Oh and don't become addicted to drinking or drugs along the way. Moderation
is crucial.

Side note to Stewy: did i miss anything?

Corey the Courier