[messengers] Booktrust teenage fiction prize has been won by ex-Toronto bike messenger

Date: 12 Nov 2010 20:10:13 +0100
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

The 2010 Booktrust teenage fiction prize has been won by ex-Toronto bike messenger Gregory Hughes for his novel “Unhooking the moon”.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/01/gregory-hughes-unhooking-the-moon

The starting point, however, was a chance remark about Canada's prairielands.
"I used to be a bicycle courier in Toronto and I had a girlfriend from Winnipeg so I asked her what it was like there. She said 'it's a land so flat you can watch your dog run away for three days'. I flew into Winnipeg to see for myself and that's exactly what it's like. I wanted to base a story there," he explains, his native Liverpudlian twang untroubled by his years of travel and living abroad.

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/

Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/