Re: [messengers] Cars to blame in most accidents involving cycles, says research calling for new road rules

Date: 24 Nov 2010 09:42:59 +0100
From: Michael Dodd <mikeydodds@xxxxxxxxx>

Cars causing nearly 9 out of 10 accidents is very hard to believe.

That study did not include pedestrians, the main aim of that study was "to
determine the main causes of road accidents between cyclists and motorists."

The reality is all road users make mistakes, but the problem is Automobiles
turn small mistakes into potentially life threatening scenarios.

The study was performed in Melbourne, Australia.

 According to hospital data 3 out of 10 Melbourne cbd accidents are caused
by car doors. Give motorists benefit of the doubt and split the leftover 7
and its still 65% car 35% cyclist. Factor a one tonne complacency bubble
into that equation and cars would no doubt be getting closer to 9 out of 10.

According to hospital data 40.7% of Sydney cbd accidents are caused by car
doors.

Thats a lot of accidents caused by cars that aren't even moving.