Re: [messengers] CMWC Guatemala debt.

Date: 6 Jan 2011 17:42:49 +0100
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

I agree that CMWC should be financially viable and that organizers should be able to put on an event without suffering deep losses. I was also a little concerned that the losses of the last 2 CMWC's could potentially point to a trend.

But I also think that the last two CMWC's were not typical. For years CMWC bounced back and forth from Europe to North America. There is a wealth of potential participants, experience, volunteers and established sponsorship opportunities for anyone who hosts a championship there.

Both Tokyo and Guatemala (and Sydney previously) expanded CMWC outside that bubble into unknown territory. Looking back with the benefit of hindsight I can understand how they had greater financial challenges than cities in North America or Europe.

I still think it was worth going there and I think that if someone is brave enough to bring CMWC to Africa, South America or Asia we should seriously look at it even though it will be expected to lose money. Our world championships have travelled to more parts of the world and that adds value, respect and opportunity for future CMWC organizers and participants.

Seeing Australia, Japan and Guatemala along side the predictable European and North American cities only helps future organizers in meetings with their city officials and sponsors.

I think one of the lessons learned is that CMWC shouldn't travel to new territory in back to back years. We need one or two less ambitious CMWC's in between so that messengers can financially recover and be in a better position to support the next ground breaking championships.

I know that times are tough for most of the community and it's very difficult and in some cases impossible for already generous messengers to contribute further. But I also know the community is blessed with many brilliant minds who may have unique fundraising ideas to help lessen the burden. Let's encourage those ideas.