Re: [messengers] CMWC Guatemala debt.

Date: 6 Jan 2011 19:19:08 +0100
From: C Q <fixieman@xxxxxxxxx>

Umm...

I'm a bit taken aback by this... It has been bothering me since Graham first
spoke of money losing events becoming a trend. Sorry my friend, Love you, I
understand your point, but we need to support one another.
My Friends, I understand what you are trying to say, both sides. No it
should not become a habit of having money losing events and regularly
needing to bail our friends out.  I'm sure that is not what will come of
this. You cannot compare Guatemala and Ireland, come on now... Resources,
people, your own backyard, etc etc...Nadir did an AMAZING thing. He created
an event which will never will be forgotten by anyone who was able to
attend. If you had been there you might understand.
If you had seen the devastation this country and community faced, you could
see that sometimes the situation is beyond your control... He did a great
thing for the messenger community, and the people of Panajachel. Showing us
that we can hold an event in a third world country, and you can't imagine
how much good it can do for Panajachel, to have 200 (yes only I believe 200)
people show up in the off season, when there is no one around to fill your
hotels and restaurants, (and not just that, artisans, street vendors, and
more. Hell we probably put 10 of Cashew man's grand kids through college).
I am all for events that can help out developing countries in any way.
Hell some of us should take some time off and go volunteer in some of these
countries. Think of the difference it could make to have 50 messengers show
up in a developing country and help them build/rebuild. OK I digress, maybe
a bit much for most, but why not,,,
OK Let's see what should he have done? Oh no registration is down, natural
disasters, Mexican airlines folded and stranded MANY people, all just weeks
before the event...
Guys sorry I think we should pull the plug, What? Come on now sometimes you
have to keep on going

This event was a good Idea, no A Great idea. It could have worked, it could
have easily come out in the positive. Think back to when you organized your
biggest event. You don't ever really know how it will turn out. How many
people will come, enough, too many, can our community pull together and make
it the greatest event our town has ever done? You never know, you're always
afraid, up till the closing ceremonies.

but I"m sorry to say the deck was stacked, and dude, sometimes when you have
the nut flush, you go all in, you have to, but if the guy siting across from
you has a full house, you have to roll with the punches.

I am Glad that Nadir is asking for help. I will do what I can. He is not
forcing anyone anything, just appealing to our/his community.
Won't hurt to organize a race to help raise funds...

I don't even want to mention it, but the only thing that might have been a
bit much for the event was la ocho. A truly ambitious, and incredible
project. Nadir almost cancelled it due to the lack of registration interest
for that single race. As I recall people called out, and wanted to have it.
We all miss the hay days of the HPR an event like no other. I think it was a
good Idea to try to make a dream. How could anyone know that mere days
before the event torrential rain would wipe half of the course into the
lake. you must have seen the photos. Ambitious, yes, but I think it was also
a great Idea. Any time I hear someone talk about the HPR, my ears prick up,
and I jump into that discussion.
If you build it They will come. I will and I know a lot of others will to.
But since the Canadian Government passed a rule about cigarettes and
advertising, the event has gone. I am always hoping it will resurface one
day.

Shit I'm talking way too much here

Sorry I am just a bit bothered by criticism of my friend who worked so hard
on a dream. all I can say is...
I think we need to look to Ideas to help out our friend, I'm not saying pull
out the checkbook. Come on we are smarter than that. Hell Philly is having a
fund raiser in a bar for their BMA ! Organize a race, Shit do a car/bike
wash for christ sakes ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUTHvujKm6I&feature=fvst

Right sorry I said more than my piece, I'll shut it now

I want us to stick together through and through
Less division, more brotherly love

Love you all

Happy New Year, and to the possibilities it brings us...

Peace to all

Chuck Q

Montreal Baby !