Re: [messengers] NACCC 2012

Date: 22 Jan 2011 12:20:17 +0100
From: "Andy" <az@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

There are compelling reasons for and against having the NACCC so close to the CMWC. If Milwakee is serious, they ought to put in a bid in Austin.
I don't know if it was communicated to the list or anywhere, but at the Open Forum in Atlanta, it was decided that going forward, the NACCC bids will be approved for 2 years out, similar to how the CMWC bidding process now works. However one big difference was that it was decided that instead of giving final approval to a bid 2 years out, the 2 strongest initial bids (maybe even 3 -- I don't recall) could get the go-ahead, if deemed worthy, then 1 year out those bids would come back and show their progress, and from those the ultimate host city would be chosen. It was also agreed that this new rule would be grandfathered in, so that while Richmond was technically given the green light to host 2012 NACCC, they understand that any city could still come in this year in Austin to present a bid. Obviously Richmond will have had a full year to prepare, so any competing bid will have to be more than just a rough proposal if it wants to be seriously considered.
Personally I like this system and would like to see it adopted for the CMWC as well. I feel it creates more competition among cities, and forces them to work harder on their bids. Cities can come in 2 years in advance with just a basic proposal (as it seems many have been doing already anyways), then return a year later and present a more serious bid with things like letters of support from their city governments, possible course locations, committed sponsors, solid dates, etc. This way the Open Forum has more to go on when taking its decision than just geography and the promise of good times.
--
AZ