Re: [messengers] Toronto Bike courier story

Date: 26 Mar 2011 10:13:02 +0100
From: Simon McKenzie <mckfrenzy@xxxxxxxxx>

Ok Ok I'll bring BikeWise up at the next OH&S meeting. Enough already. Thanks for your help today tho Dodo

Shifty
On 25/03/2011, at 8:25 PM, Michael Dodd wrote:

There is no money to be made from licensing or registering *couriers*.

As far as registering *cyclists* goes; the administration costs associated make it an unrealistic proposition, especially after considering the fact
that cyclists save councils money. Compared to automobile specific
infrastructure research has shown that effective cycling infrastructure
delivers a $4 return for every $1 spent.

Cycling is by far the best way to travel short distances and the healthiest way to travel long. A high level of cycling participation is crucial towards
reducing the safety and congestion issues created by unnecessary motor
vehicle use.

Take Portland for example, Portland introduced the bicycle bill which
requires a minimum of 1% of total highway funding to go to cycling
infrastructure.

A major bonus for that city is the statistic that shows, in a city of many bridges it is the bike traffic that is expanding, while car numbers remain the same. This means their bridges are still operating as well today for cars as they did 20 years ago - that's huge for a growing city trying to manage transportation." Safety wise Portland's figures are also encouraging, the number of cycling injuries and incidents are holding steady despite more cyclists being on the road. Cyclists in Portland today are four times safer
than they were 10 years ago.

As far as having Skilled Messengers on the streets of Toronto goes, it comes down to having better pay and fairer working conditions, if messengers get treated better there will be more long term messengers and less transient, unskilled cyclists working on Toronto's streets. Of course basic training is
still an issue. The City of Sydney provides a free cycling in the city
course, the Course is aimed at people who know how to ride bikes but lack the confidence to ride in inner city traffic, this course is also available to rookie couriers (should their company make it compulsory before allowing them on the streets), it has limitations, but it does teach principles. This course is partly taught by Veteran couriers, if the city of Toronto would like to provide such a service to emerging cyclists/messengers I'm sure the
Toronto bicycle messenger association could point them in the right
direction by providing instructors.

Cyclists and couriers are not the danger on our streets, they are however in close proximity to the danger that is created by automobiles. When you take
automobiles out of the equation streets become safe for people.

Cyclists included.