Re: [messengers] Mammoliti threatened after courier fee comment

Date: 29 Mar 2011 16:35:50 +0200
From: cadmus@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Great points.
Sarah

Quoting Shawn bega Blumenfeld <shawnbega@xxxxxxxxx>:

they may have specific reason that theyre not releasing to believe it
is in fact a courier.

if i were the tomba or whatever is current, i would stay away from the
argument " you dont know its a courier, dont come down on us" because
it might be one or turn out to be one.

i would take the stance that the common hard working career toronto
bike messengers have nothing to do with these threats, and hope the
culprit is caught whether or not a messenger. further, i would suggest
to  individual messengers that they should be courteous when dealing
with new security measures that are sure to be put in place, and work
as a group to lesson them instead of as loud individuals in the heat
of the rush being asked to use a loading dock for the first time.
charge waiting time to the client.

seperately and at the same time i would say publically that "we hope
the political process will allow comment from career messengers before
any licensing or plate law is implemented, and that any such
inplementation will be done for the benefit of the industry, the
messengers, and people of toronto, not as a gut reaction to a
dwindling budget". when arguing specifically against plate laws, i
would argue the responsibility of the courier companies, the low
numbers of bikers meaning very little income if any vs the redtape
necessary to impletment it, the transient nature of the work force,
and that  hard working career bike messengers stay on the streets by
riding safely.

--
Shawn "bega" Blumenfeld
web: http://www.dcbikeracing.com