[messengers] Car Courier arrested re: Mammoliti threatened after courier fee comment

Date: 30 Mar 2011 15:02:33 +0200
From: Nicholas Kovats <nkovats@xxxxxxxxx>

National Post has confirmed that a Car Couier has been arrested.

Bicycle messengers PR needs to compose a letter to the NP editor on ...once
again false assumptions.

http://www.nationalpost.com/m/search/arrested+after+threatening+call/4525428/story.html?q=Mammoliti

Elspeth Lodge, National Post
Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2011

A Toronto man has been arrested and charged after a city councillor received
menacing threats on Saturday.

The call came after Giorgio Mammoliti of Ward 7 suggested that bicycle
couriers pay licensing fees to help raise money for the city.

The early suspicion was that the caller was a bicycle courier, but the man
who allegedly said he would "go after" Mr. Mammoliti was a car courier.

Police say they arrested the suspect, 50-year-old Ian Bruce Thornton, after
he turned himself in.

Mr. Mammoliti could not comment on the situation, due to the ongoing
investigation, but he did confirm that he had been the subject of a
threatening call. The accused will appear in court on May 5.

Councillor Mammoliti said he believes a bicycle tax makes sense as a way to
make money from those who use roads and sidewalks aggressively.

elodge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent from my iPhone