[messengers] Carl Hedrick and Joe Granati

Date: 5 May 2011 16:54:47 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

It’s been a bad spring for messengers this year. I may have missed them but I don't think I've seen news of Carl Hedrick and Joe Granati’s  deaths posted to the list. Here they are.
Also from Carlos’s twitter:  @Jc__NYC Memorial ride this Friday at Tompkins Square Park at 7pm for Joey and Carl ride safe everyone

Police again ask for help in hit-and-run
Footage from traffic cameras along South Boulevard reviewed for car that hit bicyclist.

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr.

Charlotte Observer,  May. 03, 2011

Police issued a second plea to the public for help locating the person driving a car that struck and killed a bicyclist early Sunday then drove away.

Edward Carl Hedrick III, of Charlotte, was bicycling with two friends just before 6 a.m. on Poindexter Drive. The cut-through street between Park Road and South Boulevard is popular with pedestrians and bicyclists.

Investigators are trying to find a silver or light-blue four-door sedan - possibly a Toyota Tercel or Corolla. It would have minor damage on the lower part of the passenger side and on the undercarriage, said Detective Kevin Allred, the lead investigator in the case.

Officers are also looking for anyone who may have been on South Boulevard near Poindexter Drive.

"We just would like the person that was involved in this crash to come down and talk to us, to let us know what happened," Allred said. "If they don't do that, someone knows who did it and a gentleman by the name of Edward Hedrick was killed in the wreck and his family needs closure."

Police say Hedrick fell off his bike near Lawndale Road. His friends turned back to help him, when they saw a car heading for Hedrick toward South Boulevard, police said.

They tried to flag the driver, but the car didn't slow and struck Hedrick while he was on the ground.

He died at the scene about 6 a.m. The Toyota fled and was last seen on Poindexter traveling toward South Boulevard.

Investigators are reviewing footage from eight traffic cameras stationed along South Boulevard, Allred said.

If you have any information about the car or its driver, call 911, Crime Stoppers at 704-334-1600 or Detective Allred at 704-432-2169. Staff writer Maria David contributed.

Bicyclist hit, killed by car in Brooklyn when his head smashed through window of the car
BY Barry Paddock
New Yor Daily News,  April 25th 2011

A bicyclist was fatally hit by a car in Brooklyn yesterday, police said.

Joseph Granati, 39, of Bath Beach, was pedaling north on W. Ninth St. in Gravesend when he turned onto Avenue T and collided with a 2002 Nissan Altima traveling east just after 3 p.m., officials said.

Granati's head smashed through the rear passenger-side window of the car, cops said.

The Altima had a green light, cops said.

Granati died at the scene.

The 24-year-old driver of the Altima remained at the scene and was not charged with any crime, police said.

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/