[messengers] The bike messenger is still alive and well in Boston

Date: 11 May 2011 23:23:23 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

The bike messenger is still alive and well in Boston

Technology, bad weather and pedestrians be dammed

By LIZ PELLY

Boston
Pheonix, May 11, 2011

We're told that technological advances are killing the
bike-courier business, yet messengers still zip around downtown Boston every day, carrying
packages to law firms and courthouses.

There's even a Boston Bike Messenger Association, a
registered 501(c)6 nonprofit, to proove their presence. Messengers spend their
days dodging careless pedestrians and angry drivers in a city not known to be
the friendliest for bikers, so it makes sense that they can be surly and
aggressive about their intriguingly intense livelihood.

Since they seem to have strong perspectives on our local
bike culture, we had to track down a few. And though these guys were quick to
explain they're pretty new to the field — they've been at it for one to three
years, while some messengers work for decades — they've already racked up a few
interesting war stories.

More:

http://thephoenix.com/Boston/life/120369-bike-messenger-is-still-alive-and-well-in-bost/

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/ Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/