[messengers] Twitter and messengers

Date: 17 May 2011 21:21:28 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Gizmodo has an article on the lost origins of Twitter and how Twitter founder, Jack Dorsey was involved in messenger culture.  http://gizmodo.com/5802293/the-lost-origins-of-twitter
But I think they’re missing some of the messenger connection that might interest the messenger list.

Bcck in 1997-98, the messenger list had some very heated debates about free call and DMS. It actually went on for a long time and drew the attention of DMS’s Greg Austin and Greg Kidd. I think it even led to Greg Kidd entering a San Francisco alleycat race.

If you look through the archives of the list you’ll see that the discussion also caught the attention of a student at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, Jack Dorsey.
http://www.dccourier.com/messengers/messenger_archives_1994_1999/messengers199803.txt

On March 18, 1998,  Jack Dorsey <jdorsey.student.umr.edu> asked:
Questions: What is SF DMS? What does it do? Who uses it?
Bega answered him explaining the dispatch system:
DMS, in SF and everywhere else they are, for example DC, is essentially a dispatching company. they handle the dispatching and messenger management for messenger companies through a system called "free-call" based on the "KIWI" software. so you might find, in any local, three or four messenger companies working through DMS. the messengers are thus doing deliveries for several different messenger companies at once.

According to this book except, Dorsey got in touch with Greg Kidd and started on his path to create Twitter.

Except From: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/27/jack-dorsey-fred-wilson-twitter-book-excerpt/

In St. Louis, where he grew up, Jack first noticed the existence of something he found magical: couriers. “I loved couriers. You had this transfer of physical information happening throughout the city and the world. Someone picking up the package, putting it in a bag, going somewhere, taking it out of the bag, giving it to someone else. I thought that was so cool. I wanted to map it, to see that flow on a big screen. When I did some research into how courier systems worked, I found that there was a parallel information transfer that was digital, and it was called ‘dispatch,’ which was just a coordination effort.”
While in the second year of an engineering program at the Missouri University of Science and Technology, he came across a New York City–based company called Dispatch Management Services Corporation (DMSC), which managed dispatch centers for couriers—on foot, bicycles, and motorcycles.
“I had to get into that!” Jack enthused, as our conversation took him back in time. “I got in contact with the chairman, Greg Kidd, the guy who had built the company and taken it public. I said, ‘I’m writing some dispatch software, and I’d really love to come to New York and work with you all.’” Jack pursued Greg hard, and within a couple of weeks, he moved to New York, transferred to NYU, and started writing dispatch software for DMSC.

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/

Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/