[messengers] 'Cirque du Cycling' fest to feature cargo bike race

Date: 10 Jun 2011 12:56:50 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

'Cirque du Cycling' fest to feature cargo bike race

Posted by Jonathan Maus (Publisher/Editor)

Bike Portland,
June 9th, 2011

The annual Cirque du Cycling bike fest on N. Mississippi Avenue is this Sunday. The
event brings together many facets of Portland's
bike scene and this year organizers have added yet another — a cargo bike race.

It was bound to happen as Portland's cargo bike scene has
gone absolutely bananas in recent years (I'll try to share more photos and
notes from a recent cargo bike meet-up soon).

The Cirque includes a family ride, an art/freak bike parade,
a very competitive criterium race, and it's a benefit for Albina Youth
 Opportunity School.
Event organizer Ayleen Crotty says the Cargo Bike Race is a natural addition.

"We are very excited for this," she shared via
email, "It's our first year doing it; so we're keeping the race simple
with hopes to expand it."

Crotty says the field for the cargo bike race is already shaping
up and features some well-known local names (registration is closed and was
limited to 10 racers)...

Track stand/World Messenger Champion, former cargo-bike
delivery professional, bike-powered music tour veteran, and currently the
service manager at Joe Bike on SE Hawthorne,
Mike Cobb...

Joel Metz from Magpie Messenger Collective (Portland's original — and only — cargo bike
messenger company) says he's competing to win and he'd be "embarrassed if
he were beat by a longtail"...

Charlie Wicker of Trailhead Coffee, who completed the 7-day
Cycle Oregon with his custom Metrofiets cargo bike last year...

Ken Weatherell from Portland Pedal Power on his modified
Yuba Mundo...

Local filmmaker and founder of Crank My Chain TV Dan Kaufman
with his "Disco Trike"...

James Newman, a former big-time racer who did a stint in Europe and is now known as the Thomas the Tank Engine and
Boat Bike guy.

The race will be mass-start and riders must complete three
laps, picking up "oddly large items" on each lap.

Sounds like it'll be an epic battle. May the best
cargo-biker win!

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/ Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/