[messengers] Cycing City: Gear Up for Le Tour & Cycle Courier Championships

Date: 29 Jun 2011 20:35:40 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Cycing City: Gear Up for Le Tour & Cycle Courier Championships
Austin Post, June 28, 2011

By EricPickhartz

Austin's best bike couriers will get to show their stuff in a sanctioned race this October, but not before a few fund raisers like this weekend's Uphill Team Time Trial at the State Garage Q Saturday night.

Mellow Johnny's has teamed up with Beat the Clock Bike Messengers, the self-proclaimed "fastest and most professional crew of messengers in Austin," to put on a gnarly uphill battle open to teams of four. Cruising up a parking garage has got to be grueling. I wonder if bike tires squeak as loud as car tires around those curves? Sounds brutal.

John Trujillo of Beat the Clock just called it a party.

"We're throwing a fun, little uphill team race," he said, "and then a little Tour watch party with free food and beverages."

The way he puts it, it seems like a leisurely pedal. On-site registration happens Saturday, July 2 at 5:30 p.m. at the garage, or you can get in early for ten dollars less. Bikes and water will be on hand. At 7 p.m., things move to Mellow Johnny's for a viewing of the ever-famous Tour de France and some grub and brews.

The event is raising funds and awareness for the North American Cycle Courier Championships (NACCC), being held in our own Capital City this October 7 through 9. Organized by Trujillo and the folks at Beat the Clock, the race will attract some of the top national courier talent vying for the crown of best of the best.

Slightly ignorant of the format, I asked Trujillo to help explain.

"I would call it a race for the working messenger," he said. "How quickly can you understand the map in front of you, and how can your brain work out a route that is most efficient, and get everything done the quickest? That's where the best messenger will put himself on top of the others."

It won't be an underground race like an Alleycat, but instead be as legit as it gets.

"We're going to work closely with the city to make sure that we have a legal race," said Trujillo. "We're going to have proper street closures, and it's going to be a really fun environment."

Of course, things like this cost money.

The ultimate success of the NACCC is not only dependent on the sponsorship help, but by the buzz that gets started in the cycling scene, which here in Austin thrives like few others. The more people who find out about the event, the more chance it has to adequately show Austin's love for cycling.

That's what's behind the idea of the Uphill Race this weekend.

"It's more of a community thing," Trujillo said. "Instead of 'Oh, we're just going to come and shove this down your throat, Austin, hope you like it,' it will be, like, look, we're going to throw some parties, we're going to get it out in the community, and we're going to let you guys be a part of it. We're going to let everyone get psyched for the event that's going on in October."

Hear that, Austin? Get psyched. Then pedal up a parking garage.

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/

Bryant Watch - http://bryantwatch.wordpress.com/