Re: [messengers] CMWC 2012 Registration Open

Date: 19 Sep 2011 17:14:58 +0200
From: Christina Peck <christina@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

hey,

The group has discussed trying not to squeeze people into two boxes, but we
figured since there has never been a prize for "First Other" or any other
such classification, we hoped people could self-identify with one or the
other.
As to classifying non/ex/messenger: I know this has been an issue at past
events. We don't hope to segregate or exclude anyone. Every registered rider
will race together, but I still wanted to be able to differentiate and give
props to who is a current working messenger. I hope everyone feels welcome
to make it to Chicago--race, party, and enjoy and grow the community. But
for the main race, we want to be able to know. We are not set on how we
will/won't separate the women's for qualifications/final prizing, but again,
want to know who (self gender-identified) male/female. If there are serious
concerns with any of this, I encourage you to raise them here, because some
of the issues might have slipped by us/or we just didn't see them as a
potential problem.
We are working to get more and better sponsorship to keep the costs down for
you all. $50 for entry to a Worlds seems quite reasonable to us, which is
why we sent out the offer to the mailing list, etc so that anyone who is
definitely planning to race, but has financial constraints, can register at
a lower price, that also helps us out knowing early on how many participants
we can count on coming.

As for the dates: we had initially set the final weekend in August, but
since we're a year out, we are unable to secure the permits we need and
don't want to put out plans that may change as the city juggles venue
requests. It's going to be in August, but the location we are most excited
about has a number of large events that we can't possibly compete with (the
Air and Water show and the Chicago Marathon) that typically happen around
that time.  We will have to wait until January 1st when those events
officially declare. Since most all airlines do not allow ticket purchase
until 6-months out, we figured no one could have already secured travel. We
are working to let you all know as soon as possible though.
-Christina