Re: [messengers] Misclassification of Independent Cont ractors – Happy 2012!

Date: 17 Jan 2012 02:04:41 +0100
From: robert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
>> Last Messenger Appreciation Day (October 9, 2011) California Governor
Jerry Brown signed Senate Bill 459 (SB 459) that imposes strict
penalties on employers who willfully misclassify workers as independent
contractors. . .

Here's hoping this law gets used to take on companies that beat down their
entire work force with IC classification, or that put a lot of new hires
and seasonal people working full time in a uniform, in the IC box.

Our small worker-owned company got heat from Oregon for giving people a
few days of vacation relief work, at a time when other companies had
full-time workers on IC status.

And, uh, lawyers?  Who know the law and are supposed to uphold it, but get
a free pass?  Guess we know who made that law.

Robert