Re: [messengers] Misclassification of Independent Contractors

Date: 20 Jan 2012 21:44:44 +0100
From: listening quitely <listeningquitely@xxxxxxxx>

THIS IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANY ONE< BUT RATHER THE STATE OF THINGS>

I hear all your points, That wont change the fact ...the job status is "employee" not independent courier. so stop debating and get on with changing it, enuf fucking complaining. there is no courier control with exception of doing the job or not. You all want things to get better, well make the changes YOUR THE ONES OUT THERE. If that means ratting out every low life company, go ahead and do it, put them fucks out of business. then take your personal client list (yes that's right all you calling yourselves couriers should have your own files, contacts and company info, if you don't, stop complaining and go try working at mc'fukn'donalds)

:Take back the business end of it (courier) And you will be independent.

I might know what i'm talking about I did this courier "job" as a professional for over ten years, been out for about that long and still have a 20,000 plus list of contacts.  I worked as a slave for my first two weeks in snow 2 feet deep, minus 20c most days, i learned real fast to wise up, do this shit right. I left after 14 days, moved to other company. I did all my negotiations with "employer" I negotiated a no radio fee, and 85% commission. Years later moved again, negotiated no radio fees and salary or you may call it a guarantee. I got paid if i worked or stayed home. I got payed for vacation. I made sure i had other side income, everybody can do that, its not hard. Thats independent, "still is "employee" status, but gives you all the tax breaks for being independent. Keep your receipts, do your taxes, and you can survive. It doesn't take a genius to tax-write off a party, a few cases of beer, food or a new bike. (you also can cosy up too an
 in-house courier deal, those are nice too...cushy)

Their is federal law stating how much for base/basic delivery charge. get it, read it. Also the law is clear on what minimum wage will be.

Dont be a fool PAY YOUR OWN INSURANCE/DISABILITY. 2 million in coverage is about 20 bucks a month. State Farm offers bike coverage too. for about 30$ ya get "life/bike/house/and medical/disability or death.
If you people can get together to party, your can get together to rebuild an industry.
Start small, dispatch from home, offer only 3 types of service/ "instant", 1 hour and next day or better. offer bike only local delivery, offer weird time availability. Offer delivery of food, coffee, grocery, pharmacy, late nite cookies and ice cream, booze or whatever. Fucking Courier dial a bottle service. See now most the world is getting more lazy, the world is willing to pay for convenience, use that power to your advantage.  Scale your shit, a pocket size fish scale costs about 5 bucks, fits in palm of hand, if you get a sixty pound "Envelope or Box" (oya might fit on a bike or don't need a car) make those fuckers pay for the weight and your achy butt and back, not to forget your steed that's taking the beating too.

For you union cozying freaks, UNIONS are the biggest cause of World Wide Lowering of GDP, YOU CANT DENIE IT, And cause huge inefficiencies leading to in-bread laziness. Unions take away your independence and all control. Don't be fooled.

Most couriers seem to have missed the boat when oil prices jumped to over a dollar a barrel. On that day you all could have under-cut all large scale companies and taken over the entire industry right then. BIKES ONLY> all you could be taking advantage of the gas fee's added to car delivery.  oil equivalent - food as fuel service fee on your delivery, because whether you think it or don't all prices around you jumped not just oil. Your $1.50 coffee's now 3$ ...your beer from 3$ to 5$, groceries from 30 a day to 45, everything is up, you must do a forensic accounting of your Courier Business to survive. (could even add personal insurance fee's)