[messengers] Bronx Bike Messenger Daniel Martinez killed

Date: 19 Apr 2012 16:39:34 +0200
From: Joe Hendry <messvilleto@xxxxxxxxx>

Bicyclist, 27, killed joyriding in front of Met Museum

He grabbed onto rear of truck, police say

New York Daily News, April 18, 2012
A 27-year-old Bronx bike messenger was killed in front of a
Manhattan museum as he was joyriding while holding onto the back of a
commercial truck, police said.

Daniel Martinez was riding south on Fifth Avenue near E.
83rd Street around 6:30 p.m. when he grabbed onto the rear of a Ford F55, cops
said.

 When the vehicle came
to a stop at a red light, Martinez flew underneath, just steps from the front
entrance to The Metropolitan Museum of Art, cops said.

 When the light turned
green, the truck moved forward, uncovering the body of the cyclist, who lived
on  Walton Ave. in University Heights.

 "The man was
lying lifeless," Alex Stanko, 28, of West Grove, Pa., said. "I didn't
see him move."

 "He was bleeding
profusely. I've never seen anything like that in real life."

 Martinez - who left
behind a 10-year-old daughter - was pronounced dead at Lenox Hill Hospital,
police and family said.

 "He was a hard
worker, he was a family man. He loved his daughter," said Martinez's
cousin Jessica Bernacett, 26, of the Bronx. "It’s sad that he's
gone."

 "We loved him.
We're all shocked."

 Martinez’s brother
Nelson, 36, said "he died too young."

 "He was working,
trying to support his family," Nelson Martinez said. "He's a
responsible guy."

“It's just so sad and unfortunate," said the victim’s
sister, Natalie Martinez, 29.

 The truck remained at
the scene and no criminality is suspected, cops said.

Mess media - http://www.messmedia.org/

Mess archives - http://www.messarchives.com/