Re: [messengers] Toronto Messenger Memorial Garden

Date: 28 Oct 2013 20:27:18 +0100
From: sunaltahusky@xxxxxxxxx

In May of 1938, 19 year-old bike messenger, Robert Thompson demonstrated the courage and determination possessed by many of his peers at that time. On May 11 Thomson fell from his bike into the path of a streetcar. “With his legs almost severed at the thighs, he pulled three telegrams from his pocket and asked someone to see that they were safely delivered.”

Toronto’s Chief Coroner, Dr Smirle Lawson proclaimed that “in all my medical experience I have never seen such courage exhibited by a young man.”

Dr Lawson went on to say “the wealth of a nation is not in her money but in her people. As long as Canada produces boys with courage and devotion to duty like the late Mr. Thompson we need have no fear for our country’s future.”

Sent from my iPhone