Re: [messengers] CMWC OPEN FORUM AGENDA

Date: 27 Apr 2014 19:02:48 -0000
From: Shawn bega Blumenfeld <shawnbega@xxxxxxxxx>

on several occasions, the 2nd open forum has been scheduled for sunday
but on at least some of those occasions hasnt successfully happened
for various reasons such as lack of organization or lack of interest
or people being already drunk or the finals ran late and the forum was
scheduled for a time when the bunny hop was still going on and thats
not really fair. and thus the forum has been suddenly moved to some
other unplanned time and location. it is my belief that if it is
scheduled for sunday, it should happen for real on sunday.

its not really supposed to be a "vote". its supposed to be a consensus
(which is not the same thing as a unanimous decision - consensus means
that no one wishes to block the decision which means everyone accepts
the "vote" not necessarily agrees with it - it rarely happens after
only one vote). at least as recently as chicago, a motion was made to
change it from consensus to a straight vote but that proposal was
tabled and has been tabled at at least 3 open forums that i remember.
i would suggest that it has gained more headway recently, and at least
a couple of times, the vote has been taken this way as a single vote,
not necessarily for the worse at those forums. truthfully if at least
most people walk away thinking it was at least somewhat fair, youve
done at least somewhat of a good job.

proxies should be eliminated. whenever you have the forum, people who
want to participate should show up. at different forums, proxies have
been treated differently with little if any consistency.  proxies dont
function in a consensus format. they barely work in a voting format.
they cause controversy and breed uninformed and uncaring voters.

im really excited to see people having these sorts of conversations.
ive always personally believed that having the conversation is more
important than the final decisions.

--
Shawn "bega" Blumenfeld
http://www.dcbikeracing.com