Re: [messengers] CMWC OPEN FORUM AGENDA

Date: 28 Apr 2014 19:59:08 -0000
From: Andy Zalan <zalandy@xxxxxxxxx>

there have been instances in the past where bids were printed out and put
in people's race packets. that's how it should be if you're really serious.
but that is on the bidding cities to get their materials in to the
organizers ahead of time. don'tt expect the host city to foot the bill for
printing. maybe the ifbma can help, but really a serious bid should be able
to make this happen. the more info a city can impress us with, the better
that will reflect on their bid!

The ballot box can move around. there is always a "HQ" or registration
table or someplace on the racecourse where it can be officially supervised
and made accessible. doesn't have to be available every minute of every
day, but its important so it shouldn't be too hard to manage.

yes, i am suggesting participants get to vote on the other issues brought
up at open forum as well. like referendum ballots or something. it's just
an idea...

the 2 year out thing is a little bit wonky as i interpret the current rules
- someone correct me if i'm wrong. but as it stands, while melbourne is
considered to have won the bid last year, they still need to present
something this year and be approved. technically it is possible that that
will be rejected. the problem with this, as i see it, is that i can hardly
imagine a scenario where the bidding city would be denied their bid after
the 1st year. nobody is going to seriously block it unless there is some
HUMUNGOUS reason. not to mention the fact that nobody is really prepared to
host on a year's notice. so basically melbourne is not technically
"official" but really, it is.

my proposal (pretty sure it has been discussed, but a decision to stay with
old system or change has never been taken, leaving in place the old system
by default): cities submit and present initial bid 2 years out. field is
narrowed to the 2 cities deemed to have the strongest bids. no other cities
are now eligible. these 2 cities come again the next year with their FULL
bid and a final decision is taken then, leaving the winning city 1 more
year to really make it happen. i think this format will make the bids
stronger, motivate cities to get more done in advance. right now cities can
bring a rough draft bid to a cmwc, win the vote on a platform of
"par-taaaay!", then have nothing to show in terms of any progress the next
year, and it makes no difference. shit still gets done and is always
awesome because of/despite the lack of advance preparations, but let's face
it, if it weren't for last minute, nothing would ever get done. i think
motivating cities to do more sooner is a good thing. is this system the
best? i don't know, but let's talk about it.

az