[messengers] CMWC Mexico champions eligibility

Date: 30 Apr 2014 17:01:55 -0000
From: Willy Wonker <fetologist@xxxxxxxxx>

Hi all,

The CMWC Main Race is one month away and I would like to clarify a who is eligible to be crowned the cycle messenger world champion for that race and other races where the title is up for grabs.
It has often been a contentious point and below is what we are going to run with so it is clear to all.

      Everyone
is welcome to register and compete in all events.  Only people whose current, primary job is
bicycle delivery (generally accepted that you derive your main income from the
job), are eligible to be crowned world champion for events that the champions’
jerseys are awarded for.
*Please contact an organiser if you have any
doubts regarding this rule.

We believe only a working messenger should be crowned world champion at the Cycle Messenger World Championships. And, not a messenger that works for a week or two here and there whilst making their money somewhere else and having plenty of time off the road to train and recover.

We also think that ex and non messengers should feel welcome and be encouraged to race.  Mexico CMWC will happily recognise a winner that does not fall in to the working messenger category but the title and champions jersey will go to the first messenger.

We do not want a witch hunt and certainly do not expect to have one.  I think that most people who have a chance at winning such a difficult race are well known and honest people.
If there are any doubts about your own or another person's validity please approach the staff (especially me, Brian/Safa).  Don't start spreading rumours about a person.  Let's behave like sensible adults.

I know the rule above in larger text is a little rough.  Someone may work full time 5 days a week as a messenger but make the next Flappy Bird game on the weekend and therefore makes the majority of their income from another source.  Of course they is still eligible to win the title.
Perhaps you work one day a week on the road and are supported by sponsors the rest of the time.  You do derive your main income from being a messenger but let's be honest, you are in the grey area of pro athlete and should not be eligible to win competing against full time messengers.
I think that such occurrences are unlikely and any few that arise can be dealt with sensibly and easily by organisers and our community.

And lastly, we do not care what you deliver by bike.  If you pick it up, drop it off and get paid you are a bicycle delivery person.  You are ok in our eyes.

Thanks,

Safa.