Re: [messengers] Clarification

Date: 30 Jul 2014 03:03:36 -0000
From: M Gen <mishkageneric@xxxxxxxxx>

Heya!
While it is illegal for a private entity to hold/confiscate your government
issued identification, security companies do it anyway. It probably falls
under the homeland security act or some such nonsense. When we tried to get
building guards to stop taking our ID's the response was "Well, you don't
have to come into our building then". The only way I can see you being able
to affect any change is to get a lawyer to speak to the building management
companies. Something along the lines of "Are you aware that your security
company is in violation of federal law, etc.". You can also encourage these
places to create a messenger centre like we have at 600 Montgomery (the
pointy thing in the SF skyline). Then, you won't even have to go into the
building at all and security can do other, more necessary, work. Some
messenger's hate that idea, but I loved it.
On a personal note, I was continually at odds with security guards and was
even banned from the federal building all together (I was an angry 19 yr
old rookie). Once I realised that this was not a very lucrative way to do
things I started making treats and giving them to the guards, or buying
snack sized snickers and handing them out on Friday's, giving me a chance
to start convo's about the weather or tell them about new graffiti on their
buildings, etc. Once I was 'in' I had the express lane: When I was in an
obvious hurry and people were slowly signing in before me, I would be
ushered past and told to sign in when I came down. Many times I didn't have
to sign in at all, they would sign in for me. And the guards at the fed
building even told me how to beat the metal detector so I wouldn't have to
take off my shoes. Just tell yourself that they are only doing the job they
are told to do and that they get paid less than you to do it. It's true
that some guards just have it out for messengers but most can be turned to
the darks side (which is our side, btw) and some will even end up coming
out to the messenger bar and drink in' with you after work ;^)
Good Luck, Mishka 111